This was me.....eight days ago....the morning my water broke and we headed to meet Grace Ann!!!
**I would like to put a disclaimer on this. While everyone knows I don't post gross details, some may find a few of these "gross"**
So it all started a week ago, Monday, March 26th at 5:11am. I had gotten up to use the bathroom (such is life for someone in their third trimester) and well, there was more to that than I was expecting. I waited a few minutes because really, when you hear "water breaking", you might think of gushing. Not the case in this instance. I woke Kyle up and said "Ummm...I think my water just broke. I'm going to call the dr." I also called my mom a few minutes later and woke her up. She instantly knew what was going on, ha. Apparently there was a shift change at the hospital/dr office and it took a while to get back to me. No worries, I wasn't feeling any contractions so I did what any normal person would who was looking to fill time and decrease stress.....I took a shower and washed and straightened my hair, haha. Dr. McKenzie called me back around 7:15 and told me to head to the office, just to check. When I got there at 8am, they took us in and we quickly learned....my water had DEFINITELY broken....because as soon as the dr at the office moved GA's head....it was gushing. They said we were 3cm dilated and would be admitted immediately. That meant I got to forego the triage leg of the labor, praise the LORD! I wasn't feeling any pain. In fact, I called all my family on the way to the hospital to chat it up and tell them to get their butts to Raleigh! :)
When we got to the hospital, we seriously got the BEST NURSE ON THE PLANET! Seriously, the best nurse. If you ever have to deliver at WakeMed, pray that you get Lindsy. She was unbelievably awesome. She and Dr. McKenzie told me they would probably have to give me Pitocin to get the labor started. I asked if they could hold off a few hours (which was fine) and my mom got there around 11:45. I was clearly not feeling the pain.
See? I had been up walking around for an hour....nothing doing.
We started the Pitocin shortly there after and I was handling it well....except for that the labor pains that started...were nowhere NEAR where I thought they should have been. They were all in my lower back....ugh. NOT FUN! I tried to go without the epidural but at 3:30pm....I made the decision to get one. Best decision ever, especially someone with back labor pains. An hour and a half later, we started pushing and at 6:39pm, Grace Ann was here!!!
I was worried when she was born because she wasn't breathing consistently (in my eyes) or crying...she was so quiet. I just had this sneaky feeling something was wrong. I found out later, that without Dr. McKenzie's quick reaction, the delivery could have turned out much different. Turns out, GA had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck TWICE and very tight. When Dr. McKenzie saw, he immediately cut the cord and did some other stuff. They let me hold her for a few seconds but I told them I wanted her to be checked out. Her pulsox (spelling) was 96 so they said she was fine. Later they checked again and she was at 100%. Praise the LORD! She is truly a little miracle and gift from God....very much her namesake.
After that, everything was fabulous....all our immediate family was there....Andrew drove home from Boone to come with CK and KG. Even my grandparents came by! I was so happy everything was over, I was on cloud nine that first night. But I blew up like a balloon during labor. I guess the lack of swelling caught up with me. The good thing....it's all gone now :)
My sweet girl!!
Struggle Amy but love the pic because it is of my favorite people, my siblings!!
I will spare you the rest of the hospital details and just say it is so wonderful to be home for a few days now and get things going here. My mother has been a godsend. Everyone who knows Barbie knows she is awesome...but I don't think you know how awesome!!! She has gotten up with me every night to make sure GA is great. I am nursing and it is tough but so rewarding and my mom has been such an encouragement for that. She has made us all my favorite foods, cleaned things up and just showed us how things are supposed to be done. I do not know what I would do without her. Let's be serious. My mom is the best, hands down. She will leave later this week and I will cry like a baby....worse than Grace Ann when she gets into a temper fit. I'm not ready for her to leave!!! :( She is too far away!!!
One thing she rocks at, that I stink at....is burping the baby. Seriously.....I am awful. Kyle is getting better but I am the worst. My mom...is a burping baby rock star. She hits her back like two times and BAM burp. I try for five minutes....to no avail!! Bless you Barbie!!
Barbie on burp patrol!!
Here are a few more pictures from this fun week we've had....don't be too jealous that sweet Grace Ann is the cutest baby ever. It's okay.... :)
Mommy and sweet Grace Ann
Daddy and GA after bath time!!
Headed to the dr for new baby checkup!
Sleeping in the pack and play
She made the news! My sweet coworkers at NBC 17 gave GA a shout out!
Sleeping beauty
Yes, she rolled herself from her side to her stomach...already. We are going to have our hands full! :)
We feel so blessed to have had such and easy labor and delivery and transition to home! Praise Jesus for our sweet and healthy baby girl! I cannot wait to watch her grow up and learn everything!!! :)












I loved reading this! I can't wait to see more updates!
ReplyDeletegreat read, amy and nice pics!
ReplyDeleteI love my precious, amazing and gorgeous granddaughter soooo much! What an honor and privilege it has been to be here with you all! I thank God daily for you!
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you need anything once your mom leaves. I'm completely useless around babies, but I can bring y'all food, go grocery shopping for you, anything that can help out. Just FB me or tell Kyle to give me a call.
ReplyDelete